Thursday, June 23, 2011

Victorinox Bread Knives (Isn’t that an AWESOME company name? ^_^)

Victorinox 10 1/4 inch bread knife

A few years ago I decided to try and make my own bread at home, without using a bread machine or a stand mixer. (Why? Because I didn’t have either, and I’m cheap. ^_^)

I quickly discovered two things:

  1. Making bread by hand is frickin’ easy!! The first few batches weren’t great, but it really isn’t a big deal at all!
  2. A shoddy bread knife is worse than no knife at all.

If you’re at all interested in making your own bread, rest assured that you really don’t need a bread machine or stand mixer! But you absolutely should spend a little money to get a good bread knife. There’s really nothing quite like trying to slice your delicious homemade bread, only to have it squish into super-condensed-not-as-awesome bread. Sadness. :(

So, every time I made bread I’d end up squishing it when I tried to slice it, and I’d say, “Omg I need a good bread knife!” Then I’d promptly forget until the next time I made bread. *^_^*

Well this past Christmas my hubby surprised me with a WONDERFUL and inexpensive gift: a Victorinox 10 1/4 inch bread knife!

He picked it because when he searched Amazon, it was the top listed bread knife. Oh, and it’s only $27.95. ^_^

It was a total surprise to me, and it’s one of the best gifts I’ve ever received! This thing cuts like a dream!

Now that I think about that phrase, it sounds kinda weird. I’ve never really had sharp dreams… But I digress.

In addition to slicing bread, this is also the best damn tomato knife I’ve ever had! It slices tomatoes like they’re tissue paper. Mind you, I already had a Pampered Chef tomato knife, and it’s pretty good! (No smooshed tomatoes.) But the Victorinox bread knife just is leagues above it.

If I could change one thing I’d go back in time and ask for the 8 inch Victorinox bread knife. The 10 1/4 inch knife is a total of 15 inches long with the handle, and the blade sticks out 2 1/2 inches from my Kapoosh knife block. It’s a LONG knife, and I really think the 8 inch blade would work just fine. But that’s really my only beef with the knife I have now!

Lesson learned: A good knife is a valuable investment, but it doesn’t have to be an expensive investment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Cheap Web Hosting | Top Web Hosts | Great HTML Templates from easytemplates.com.